[ddots-l] Re: question about sonar and sound forge

  • From: "Paul Erkens" <pje@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 13:12:42 +0200

Hi Omar,

I use cool edit pro 1.2a to trim files, normalize them, EQ them, etc. I now have some cool edit filters, so that it can import and export to and from mp3, ogg, wma and flac. Flac is a cool compression format, because unlike other lossy formats like mp3 and ogg vorbis, flac doesn't degrade the sound file quality. When decoded or played, the exact same wave stream is reproduced that went into the encoder. But as always, it goes at the expense of something else, which is file size. Where mp3 compresses up to a factor 6 to 15, depending on the bitrate you choose, flac compresses a wave file to half its size, or sometimes to one third, which is not as tight as mp3.

I'm just mentioning it here, because flac may be interesting for some of you. Cool edit pro, and also adobe audition which is in fact the new generation cool edit, can now use filters to work with all file formats mentioned above, including flac.

Regards,
Paul.
----- Original Message ----- From: "omar binno" <omarbinno@xxxxxxxxx>