[ddots-l] Re: phone recording

  • From: "Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:04:07 -0500

I use a That2 passive phone Tap or phone patch as we used to call such devices
when I was an active Amateur Radio Operator.  There is a line-in, which
attaches to the port on the phone where the handset usually plugs in, a port
for the handset to plug into, a female XLR for line-in from a mixer, and a male
line-out to a mixer.  there is a 3-way switch which matches signal to the
phone, and a line-in and line-out level pot.  I use an XLR in going to the
mixer from the line-out on the patch, and a send going into the unit to route
signals from a source going into the mixer such as my mic, a speech synthesizer
(as I used it for training and tech support) or, an audio feed...  There are
software versions of the mixer with presumably some sort of a hardware
interface, but I never considered trying them because of fear that the UI to
the software would be inaccessible...  I can look up the manufacturer of the
Phone Tap, as it eluded my memory and I'm away from home and can't go read my
Braille label and the control and connections labels I've put onto the device,
but it's straight-forward...  Oh yes, one doesn't enable the line-in from the
patch to the mixer to avoid creating a feedback loop.  I think I'm remembering
it all correctly, but it really helps me to have hands on to trace what I've
done and have the labels to keep it all straight--too many pieces of equipment
and too many different interfaces and I/O schemes and too little concentration
and Organic RAM to keep it all straight...

Nick