[ddots-l] Re: ot question about hd recorders

  • From: "Kylee Maloney" <kylee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 08:13:00 +1200

Hi, Jim

I'm a complete newbie to Sonar and CT (still trying to install it at work)
but I do know a bit about hard disk and/or compact flash recorders as
they've been in use as field machines here at Radio New Zealand for a while.

Up until recently, we preferred the Marantz PMD670  or the smaller 660.
However, the preamps on these tend to overblow in dynamic environments,
making them fine for sit-down interviews but useless for production-rich
feature-making.

The Tascams and the Sound Devices units seem to be the ones which the
Features Department in which I work are aiming for.  With the former, you
need to record at top level and use the head-room to cope with the dynamics,
whereas the general opinion of my more knowledgeable colleagues is that the
Sound Devices units have the best preamps on the market.  Neale Ewers, an
experienced engineer from Wisconsin has used the four-track version for some
time now. He says (though the review seems to have been removed now) that
the menus are easy to navigate, and that he had some small influence in
ensuring that at least some of the features would be accessible.

It's probably a bit more expensive than other units, but I definitely
wouldn't recommend the Marantz, eve if the preamps were of better quality,
as pretty much everything on the unit is menu-driven and, from a usability
perspective, the manual is hopeless.

Good luck with your search.  Please keep us posted on how you go, as I,
myself, am looking for a suitable field recorder for my own personal use.

Cheers

Kylee