[ddots-l] Re: ot. help

  • From: "Gordon Kent" <dbmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 18:43:34 -0400

Well, since you're from Germany, maybe you can get some direct contact with Native INstruments. THe Kontak player is a major drawback for us, as many of the best sample libraries are only available in that format and it is virtually invisible to all screen readers at this time. Native Instruments has shown no interest in cooperating with us in this regard.

Gord

-----Original Message----- From: Juergen Deines
Sent: Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:01 AM
To: Ddots freelist
Subject: [ddots-l] ot. help

Dear Music and Midi Fans,
I am writing to you from a German sonar list in order to draw your attention
to a campaign that you might be interested in.
If you would like to contact us, please sign up at blindsonar@xxxxxxxxxxx
Some time ago, we had launched a mailing campaign in which we informed
manufacturers of our problem of not being able to use many of the plugins.
Unfortunately, the result of the campaign was rather poor.
This was obviously because only one e-mail was sent, making it impossible to
ascertain how many people are actually interested in this subject. Thus, we
thought of compiling a list of plugins that we are interested in and whose
manufacturers we could write to. If everyone were to write a personal
e-mail, the manufacturers would see how many there are who would like to
have accessible plugins. Spectrasonics, for example, mentioned that they are
planning to make Omnisphere accessible in a future update. Now we are
looking for others who would like to join us in order to increase the
chances of getting accessible plugins. I would greatly appreciate your
participation in the campaign. Since the introduction of Voiceover, the high
level of awareness to this screenreader and to the term "accessibility"
among manufacturers has greatly increased our chances. Further below, you
will find a list of manufacturers along with their support e-mail addresses
or the forum thread under which you can contact them.
You will also find a standard text (separated from the other text with an
asterisk) that you can send to the support teams as it is.
Please also post other manufacturers with e-mail addresses in your or our
blind sonar list and write letters to these, too.

Perhaps you could also distribute this text in other mailing lists.
And do not forget: the more people participate, the greater the probability
that we will soon have a number of barrier-free plugins to work with.

And here is the standard text. It is written in such a way that Mac and
Windows users alike can use it.
Of course you can simply use the same text, though it might be better to use
a slightly different wording.

*
Dear * Support Team,
I am interested in ** and have a question concerning the plugin. As I am
blind, I need to use aids like screenreaders. Efficient solutions are
available both for Windows and for Mac. You might have heard of Voiceover,
the integrated screenreader of Mac. Have your plugins been programmed as
barrier-free? This would be important for me to use them. For the
screenreader to be able to read the information, the plugin must contain
standard elements in Windows or the cocoa framework in Mac.
Apple has published documentation for manufacturers that shows the
requirements that need to be fulfilled to make a program barrier-free.
http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Accessibility/Conceptual/AccessibilityMacOSX/OSXAXIntro/OSXAXintro.html
And here for Windows:
http://www.microsoft.com/germany/msdn/aktuell/news/show.mspx?id=msdn_de_43594

If this is not the case, my next question would be whether anything in this
line is planned for a future update?
Looking forward to you reply.
Yours sincerely, *

Here is a list of manufacturers in which we are interested.
Here is the list of manufacturers.
Some of the products that are interesting for us.
1.
Product: Logic Pro
Manufacturer: Apple
E-mail: accessibility@xxxxxxxxx
Please dont send the documentation to Apple.
2.
Product: Omnisphere
Manufacturer: Spectrasonics
E-mail: info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Be sure to write to this company - an update is as good as promised!
3.
Product: Motu BPM (groove plugin with huge library), etc.
Manufacturer: Motu
E-mail: sales@xxxxxxxx
The page mentioned something about accessibility. However, I have not been
able to find out what that means.
4.
Product: Blue, Predator, etc.
Manufacturer: Rob Papen
E-mail: info@xxxxxxxxxxxx
A genuine synthesizer genius
5.
Product: Nexus, Quadrasid
Manufacturer: REFX www.refx.com
Registration is necessary in order to get a ticket. However, the
registration is very fast. By the way: Quadrasid emulates a C64 and sounds
superb.
6.
Product: Bidule, Chipsounds
Manufacturer: Plogue www.plogue.com
Bidule is a modular DAW, and Chipsounds is a chip emulator that emulates the
sounds of the old Nintendo, Amiga, and Atari.
The manufacturer told us that they would look into the matter if they
received a sufficient number of requests.
The accessibility thread can be found here:
http://plogue.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5637
As I said, if you post your favorite VSTs, I will write to their support
teams, too.
Two or three sentences would be sufficient.
7.
Product: Valhallaroom
Manufacturer: Valhalla DSP
E-mail: sean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A hall plugin programming genius
8.
Product: Kontakt, etc.
Manufacturer: Native Instruments
Link to the contact form:
http://co.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=infosuppform
9.
Product:  Vienna Libraries
Manufacturer: VSL
E-mail: support@xxxxxxxxx
Arguably the best manufacturer for orchestra instruments.
10.
Product: Independence
Manufacturer: Yellow Tools
E-mail: support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx