[ddots-l] Re: keyboard lessons

  • From: "Phil Muir" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 19:17:43 +0100

Vince wrote: I had 2 1/2 years of formal training when I was a kid and knew
that was way wrong.

Phil replied: Wouldn't say that.  Some of the best musicians even in the pop
rock field are classically trained.  Nothing at all wrong with formal
training.  The important thing is how good the tutor is that's teaching it.
For example, I did up to grade 4 in piano when at school and was encouraged
to take it further.  My piano teacher was an amazing jazz musician who was
also very good at teaching piano.  I really enjoyed being taught by him.  He
always told me to keep playing piano, even when I took up guitar which, I
know is a more natural instrument for me to play.  He was right to say that
and being able to play keyboards is a definite advantage when laying down
tracks in the studio.  I now believe that I would be a better guitarist, if
I had been taught classically.  I did have a few lessons but, they didn't
last long due to issues in the teachers life that I found out about
afterwards.  I would also be a better guitarist if I knuckled down more and
spent time practicing.  That for me is one problem with having perfect
pitch.  I can hear something, assimilate it as I hear it and if it's not too
complicated or, not in a style such as jazz that I don't usually work in,
play it right off the bat.

Regards, Phil Muir
Accessibility Training
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021