[ddots-l] Re: introducing sonar x3

  • From: "Bill" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 18:13:49 -0400

Dear All,

As of a few months ago, David Pinto had already committed to upgrading
CakeTalking to work with X3.  We have just vastly updated the FAQ
(Frequently Asked Questions) page for CakeTalking.  Among numerous other
interesting entries, you will find the one I have pasted in below.

Q: Will CakeTalking work with SONAR's X series?

A: There will be no CakeTalking scripts for SONAR versions X1 or X2. In May,
2013, CakeTalking's independent developer, David Pinto, committed to
updating his CakeTalking for SONAR scripts to work with the latest version
of SONAR which will be SONAR x3. It will be a significant amount of work to
revise his scripts to work with the totally new interface used in the X
series of SONAR. He does not anticipate having a solution for commercial
distribution until at least summer of 2014. Since Cakewalk Music Software
(the company) completely redesigned the interface for their X series of
SONAR, David's task amounts to virtually completely rewriting the
CakeTalking scripts and tutorial documents. Meanwhile, Dancing Dots, under a
special arrangement with Cakewalk, can continue to sell upgrades and new
units of SONAR 8.5. See our CakeTalking ordering page to order upgrades or
new units of SONAR and CakeTalking from Dancing Dots.
N. B. With release of SONAR X2A, the people from Cakewalk Music Software
report: "SONAR X2's accessibility features, including Microsoft UI
Automation, expose rich information about its UI elements, such as type,
state, name, and value. With reliable access to this information, vision
impaired users can use UI Automation-capable screen reader programs such as
Microsoft Narrator, JAWS, NVDA and Window-Eyes to access, identify, and
manipulate SONAR's UI elements. " Because one man's definition of
accessibility can greatly differ from another's, we advise you that, despite
the important foundation built by SONAR's developers, running SONAR X2 or X3
without CakeTalking is not what we would call an accessible experience.

 WARNING:  A number of disappointed users have purchased SONAR X2 and then
contacted Dancing Dots to acquire a copy of SONAR 8.5 with CakeTalking. If
you have purchased X2 and found that it does not meet your definition of
being accessible, contact your dealer to request a refund. Dancing Dots
purchased all remaining stock of SONAR 8.5 from Cakewalk and cannot supply
customers who have purchased later versions with a no-cost downgrade.

Bill McCann
President
Dancing Dots