[ddots-l] Re: inputting turns

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 12:14:29 -0500

Hmm ok, that's interesting Graham. Is a chrochet a quarter note? What's a semi-quaver? I'm guessing this is terminology common to the UK, or is this standardized throughout Europe? As I'm sure you know, it's all quarters, eighths, etc. throughout North America.

The turn sounds like what is also known as a neighboring tone figure, although I'll now have to go review my notes on neighboring tones, escape tones, etc. as I can never keep those things straight.
http://www.tonalityguide.com/tkembellishing.php
Is a great page on this, and that site in general is a very handy reference for traditional music theory terms and concepts.

Note: for more jazz-oriented theory, check out "A Jazz Improvisation Primer" at:
http://www.outsideshore.com/primer/primer/

Chris

At 11:06 PM 3/4/2006, you wrote:
A turn is an ornament which turns about on a note. The best way to describe it is with an example: if you have a fifth octave d
chrotchet with a turn on it, you play e d c and d as semiquavers, so those four notes make up a quarter note. I think you can also
make them go the other way with another symbol, so c-d-e-d would be played in the previous example. The sign for the turn is dots
2-5-6; I can't remember the sign for an inverted turn.

Graham