[ddots-l] Re: heavy bass question

  • From: "Bryan Smart" <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:55:47 -0400

If, by vibration, you mean a buzzing in the bass tone that wasn't there
before, you've either overloaded one of the gain stages in the
compressor, or you're hearing artifacts from having it adjust the gain
too quickly. If this is the case, try reducing the gain coming in to the
the compressor, the output gain from the compressor, or make sure that
the attack and release aren't set below 5 Ms.

If the tone sounds just the same, but it is just too heavy in low
frequencies, then you need to roll off the low end with an EQ. The
per-track EQ should already have band one set to a low shelf EQ at 80Hz
with a gentle slope. Reduce the gain by about 6 DB. If that doesn't do
it, then also increase the frequency for that band from 80HZ to 180HZ to
cover more of the low frequencies and leave you with more body/fret
sound from the bass.

Bryan