[ddots-l] ct and sonar questions

  • From: "Paul Erkens" <pje@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 02:09:04 +0100

Hi Gord,

I'm having a problem and I'm hoping for your good advice. I'd like to know what
is the best way to go about.

I have a singer that comes here every week to do her thing. Now we're recording
a little project, just to try things out and see how it all goes. Nothing
professional, because I'm still learning. The song she wants to do is one that
I found a fairly good midi file of, somewhere on the net. I'd like her to sing
along and record that, but I'll do it well. Each midi instrument on its own
audio track so that I can use cakewalk's effects rather that the ones in my
sound module, over which I have too little control.

Now. If I import that midi file into Sonar, I'll have to configure all buses
and sends and extra audio tracks myself. I tried that but I can't seem to make
the inserted buses work, because I don't know how to insert a send on a track
and then how to make that send work with a dedicated bus.

Another aproach could be, that I just start with the beautiful triple a midi
audio 16 by 16 layout, and then import my midi material into that. This would
be ideal, because this layout has working buses and sends. But this poses other
questions. To import the midi from a plain midi file into a project, I first
open the midi file, then open the midi audio 16 by 16 layout in another
document within the same sonar, and then copy and paste from the midi file into
the project. That goes fine. Control c and control v. But all track properties
like pan, chorus, reverb and the lot are not copied from one document into the
other, and it is an awful lot of work to do that by hand.

I tried cloning tracks so that everything gets copied including track
properties, but that dialog only lets you clone into the same project that you
are cloning from, and not into a new one.

What is the best way to handle this? I have a midi file and all sorts of things
need to be added, preferably into the triple a layout which I'm so used to.
That thing has all buses and sends already configured and nicely working. If I
should import the midi file into the triple a layout, then how do I copy all
track properties and sysex as well? Or, if you advise to use the midi file as
my starting point and add all buses to it, how can I insert a send on a track
and connect that to a bus I've inserted in the bus pane. Hope you can help.

Regards,
Paul.