[ddots-l] Re: asio or wdm

  • From: "Phil Muir" <philmuir1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 22:34:00 +0100

ASIO drivers as a general rule are better, even when working in Sonar. This is because, you can run more tracks and achieve lower latency with them in Sonar than if you use WDM drivers. I have ASIO drivers and WDM drivers with my MOTU sound card. I use the ASIO ones as I suspect they were probably better written because I can achieve lower latency when using them over the WDM ones. Yes, I have tried using WDM drivers in Sonar too however, I definitely can't get the latency, as low as I can when I use ASIO drivers.

The WDM standard was developed for use in Sonar. The ASIO standard was developed by Styneberg and has been around a very long time.

Regards, Phil Muir
P J Muir Productions
Music and audio production

----- Original Message ----- From: "HF" <neep23@xxxxxxxxxx>