[ddots-l] Re: VU meters in DD

  • From: "Phil Muir" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 01:19:02 +0100

Bryan wrote: snip, CakeTalking is not able to report separate meters for the
left and right channel of a stereo track. Instead, you hear a single meter
that represents the
summed signal. In most situations, that is what most people care about,
since, if you're establishing level for a stereo signal, you rarely, if
ever, wish
to distort the stereo image by independently adjusting gain on the
individual channels.

Phil replied: on the other hand, it's nice to be able to calibrate a stereo
signal.  our sighted counterparts can do that and I think what people are
saying here is that they want as much control as possible.  Personally I
like being able to check the VU metres in Sonar as it gives me a much better
average of what's happening on the master bus which is stereo, particularly
when mastering.  If your going to work professionally as an engineer, you
really do need all of the various metre types available.  Would be nice if
CT offered that but unfortunately, it doesn't.

Regards, Phil Muir
Accessibility Training
Telephone: US (615) 713-2021
UK+44-1747-821-794