[ddots-l] Suggestion for Sonar 4 Script

  • From: "Chi Gook Kim" <chigookkim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 12:56:06 -0500

Hi list,

I've been using cakewalk for like 8-9 years since around cakewalk 4 or 5
with dos, and I bought caketalking for sonar 3 a few months ago.  I've read
the caketalking manual in order to use everything that caketalking offers.
I think everybody who wants to take it seriously has to read the caketalking
manual.  It's pretty well designed.  Anyways, while working with
caketalking, I came up with some features that'd enhance the script.  I hope
people would jump in this discussion.

I think current script let us use midi sequence very solidly.  For sonar 4
script, I wish we get more accessibility to audio editing such as loop
construction and all the nice extra audio effects that cakewalk includes.

It'd be awesome to be able to center the scrubbing cursor faster, and
refresh key f6 in general seems very slow in other view as well.

When a multiple projects are open, jaws should announce the project file
name including the current view type when pressing control tab or ctrl+shift
tab.  Right now it just announces the view type.

I don't know if there is way, but I wish I could find single automation
record and delete.  Right now, I can just delete all the automation within a
selected area.

Also, if I automate one of the buses, I don't think I can't delete it
because in track view I can select the track and delete automation, but in
bus view, I have no idea how to select a bus and delete the automation.

It'd be good idea to include a hotkey to disable all the jaws script while
recording.  It seems jaws affects the performance of sonar overall.  I
sometimes get audio error or dropout while recording with jaws on.  If I
turn off the jaws and record it works fine every time.  I don't think it's
my hardware problem, because I use different soundcard for jaws, and I have
edirol ua1000 dedicated for recording and mixing.  Also I have 1 GB ram, 2.8
GHz CPU with hyper threading support, and serial ata 160 GB hdd and extra
regular ide hdd for data storage.  Of course, I turn off all the background
services while working with sonar.

Lastly, it'd be really nice for Cakewtalking to support one of the useful
sampler plugins that supports variety samples and can be used in cakewalk.
In that way, we are not restricted to only external modules and keyboards as
our sound source.

I don't know how hard it is to script these things, but I'm just hoping that
these would be included in later scripts.

I think it's really wonderful that we have caketalking script that let us do
stuff.  I go to Berklee College of Music, and all the people use Mac with
pro tools and digital performer, and probably I'm one of the very very few
people (like fewer than 5) who use PC.  Our school has requirement for all
the students to use Mac because all the classes and labs are designed in Mac
platform.  I'm just really grateful that I can produce music with cakewalk
and caketalking as good as sited people who use pro tools and digital
performer.  Of course, I can't compete with music production and engineer
(mp&e) majors.  I heard there is a blind student whose emphasis is MP&E at
my school, and I don't know what she uses.

Talking about Mac, does anyone know if pro tools and digital performer are
accessible to blind users at all?

Thanks,

Chi
** ddots-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the Subject:- faq