[ddots-l] OT: making Real audio ra files

  • From: "David Eagle" <onlineeagle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 12:12:38 +0000

Hi, I'm going round in circles here. I need to embed sound in to a
webpage. The sounds are only about twenty seconds long but the only
formats FrontPage gives me to work with are: wav, aiff, midi, au, and
real audio ra. So I chose real audio because its much smaller. The
trouble is, that sonar only supports rm as does sound forge. I can't
find a free converter anywhere to convert from wave to ra. Real player
doesn't even work when I hit the convert button, and I couldn't
understand how real producer was meant to work. So basically, there
doesn't' seem to be a free way to make real audio files, which doesn't
say much for real and their business   sense.

Does anyone know of anything?

At the moment I'm using wav, but its taking up far too much space, and
real would allow me to compress to a tenth or 20th of the file, even
more if I wanted.

O, there  is one way to do it I think, and that's to put it on to
audio cd first then save the tracks, but this seems such a pathetic
way of converting that I'm avoiding it till desperation sets in. Fancy
making a program that allows you to save an audio CD to ra but not
convert an existing track on my computer. It's a piece of plastic for
god's sake. Just a round piece of plastic. What's the difference?!

David Eagle