[ddots-l] OT: glue to use for resitting nut and tips for cleaning metal parts for electric guitar

  • From: Cameron Strife <cameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:00:22 -0500

Hi all.  I'm doing some work on a vintage Zim-gar solid body electric
which was my grandfathers and needs some major tlc!

I've taken the bridge and saddle etc off.  They are dirty and oxidized.
Any tips for cleaning them?  I know you can use a diet coke bath and
that helps.  However, I've also found directions for making your own
reverse oxidation bath with a nine volt battery, stripped wires, and
salt water.  The electric charge will be more effective according to
some research I've been doing.

Also, I need to re glue the nut back on as it shifted half an inch off.
What kind of glue should I use and how should I apply it?

Any tips would be great.

After taking all the parts off that easily come off, I polished the
whole guitar and I just cleaned the fretboard and have lemon oil soaking
in right now.  I think the neck is warped but I'm sort of doing this
just to do it.

Thanks,

Cameron.