[ddots-l] Re: OT Skype

  • From: D!J!X! <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 18:55:11 -0400

Yes, you need to enable programs to use the system tray. If using windows7,
do this:

1. Press windows key, then escape to get out of start menu.
2. Press alt+Enter to enter task bar and start menu properties.
3. On the taskbar properties page, shift tab back to the "Notification Area
Customize" button.
4. In this window, you can select from either of 3 options for the listed
icons. These icons here are programs that have tried to access the windows
system tray, so it places them in here. The  options are: 1. "show icons and
notifications," 2. "hide icon and notifications," or 3. "only show
notifications."
5. You can either set these options for each program manually, but you'll
have to do this everytime a new program is added that uses the system tray
for that program. Your other option, which is more of the xp and vista
behaviour is to tab over to the box that says "Show all icons and
notifications on the system tray" and check it. This will make windows show
any program that needs the tray and will not block them.

If you don't want to have a clutter of system icons you dont use, like
volume, network etc, select the "Turn system icons on and off" link, and
choose off for whatever system icons you don't want.

Regarding your skype issue, if you're using the latest skype version, go to
options, arrow down to advance, then uncheck the box that says "keep skype
on the taskbar while I'm signed in." This will cause skype to minimize to
the windows tray when you close it.
Also, if this ever happens to anybody, just alt shift f4 twice quickly to
unload skype from memory.

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____