[ddots-l] Re: Normalizing a track.

  • From: "Michael Christer" <mc3203@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:40:32 -0000

Hi there!

always sort out the problem, but, and it's a big but, sometimes compression is
simply not enough!
If the instrument is naturally louder in some places than others, you're
screwed!

No offence meant, but sometimes one trick to try, especially with an acoustic
bass is to wedge a strip of pretty dense foam rubber beneath the strings , but
it's got to be placed as close to the nut/head of the instrument as possible.

Sometimes, this can make the application of compression more effective,
negating the need for virtual limiting, which by it's very nature, will render
the sound dull and lacking in any dynamics whatsoever!

Good luck

Mike

From: Laurie Simpson
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:31:53 -0500

Hello studio gurus,

Im trying to record a friend in Sonar who plays an acoustic bass. She
strikes some notes much louder than others and, so far, has not made
much headway toward correcting this problem. Short of going throught the
track measure by measure and making some notes 3db louder or quiter, is
there an easier way in Sonar to make the entire track the same volume?
Or could I export the track to Sound Forge and is there something I
could do there? Ive done the measure by measure thing and it does work,
sort of, except I get digital clicks occasionally. I have an AKG bass
mic and I placed it as close to the center of her F-holes as I could.
But her higher notes boom while the lower notes are not so audible.
Short of telling her to play it again and again until she gets it more
even, is there anything I can do?

Advice welcome!

Laurie

** [mailto:ddots-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?subjectúq]