[ddots-l] Re: Normalizing a track.

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:52:10 -0600

Compression?

Nick

--Original Message Text---
From: Laurie Simpson
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:31:53 -0500

Hello studio gurus,

Im trying to record a friend in Sonar who plays an acoustic bass.  She strikes
some notes much louder than others and, so
far, has not made much headway toward correcting this problem.  Short of going
throught the track measure by measure and
making some notes 3db louder or quiter, is there an easier way in Sonar to make
the entire track the same volume?  Or could I
export the track to Sound Forge and is there something I could do there?  Ive
done the measure by measure thing and it
does work, sort of, except I get digital clicks occasionally.  I have an AKG
bass mic and I placed it as close to the center of
her F-holes as I could.  But her higher notes boom while the lower notes are
not so audible.  Short of telling her to play it again
and again until she gets it more even, is there anything I can do?

Advice welcome!

Laurie