[ddots-l] Normalizing a track.

  • From: "Laurie Simpson" <simp749@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 18:31:53 -0500

Hello studio gurus,

I'm trying to record a friend in Sonar who plays an acoustic bass.  She
strikes some notes much louder than others and, so far, has not made much
headway toward correcting this problem.  Short of going throught the track
measure by measure and making some notes 3db louder or quiter, is there an
easier way in Sonar to make the entire track the same volume?  Or could I
export the track to Sound Forge and is there something I could do there?
I've done the measure by measure thing and it does work, sort of, except I
get digital clicks occasionally.  I have an AKG bass mic and I placed it as
close to the center of her F-holes as I could.  But her higher notes boom
while the lower notes are not so audible.  Short of telling her to play it
again and again until she gets it more even, is there anything I can do?

Advice welcome!

Laurie