[ddots-l] Re: New DAW, Online or Off?

  • From: Jack Conti <jackconti@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:59:42 -0400

yess needed to reauthorize dfw other than that i have no email etc on my daw.
maybe if i get a dongle i woulod totally take it off line but i have had to trouble and 6 gigs of ram has served me well.
At 09:44 AM 10/25/2010, you wrote:
Hi folks.

I'm a couple months away from getting the new Windows 7 DAW.

This old XP box is doing fine, and I'm probably going to keep it for storage, Office applications, email etc.

But is it practical to keep the new DAW offline entirely, disable internet-related services etc.? I realize that results in a more stable system and less vulnerability, but do any of our audio applications need to be authorized online on the same machine on which they run? For example, Waves plug-ins and others rely on iLock authorization. But I'm pretty sure in that instance, there's no reason why you can't download authorizations onto your key and then move it to the offline machine - that's one of the cool things about the iLock.

Heck, what about Jaws 12 and Freedom Scientific's annoying authorization scheme?

For those of you with a DAW completely removed from the Internet, have you run into any unforseen pitfalls?

thanks
Chris