[ddots-l] Re: Mackie mixers

  • From: "W. Nick Dotson" <nickdotson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 18:02:55 -0600

Thanks very much for the Trubitt recommendation.  I ordered the "Mackie" book,
plus the "Live Sound for Musicians" from his site, using the "discount"
link where he will get a bit more money for each...  I listened to some of the
illustrative material from both books, on his site, and look forward to
scanning
them, as I like his idea of explaining the flow of thing which the Mackie
manuals depend upon diagrams for, whereas he puts his diagrams in appendices...

(grin)

I'm going to try to get an e-mail address from his site, or the books when they
arrive, as his web software doesn't like my e-mail client...  (grin)

Thanks for adding to the dialogue about the auditory tuners too.

Nick

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:07:34 -0800 (PST), seattleguitarman wrote:

 Hi Folks,

 I was out of town and just returned to catch up on
 postings about Mackie mixers.  A really good book that
 covers many of them including all the ones mentioned
 in the posts is:

 Mackie Compact Mixers by Rudy Trubitt.

 It is good at not only explaining the workings of
 Mackie mixers but also mixers in general.
 Additionally, I've written to him at his web site and
 he wrote back thanking my for compliments about his
 book and said I should write back if I had questions.

 His web site is at:

 http://www.trubitt.com/

 Also,  Mackie is located just North of where I live in
 Seattle.  One woman who is a key player in web
 accessibility lives here in Seattle and her husband
 works there.  If folks aren't getting accessible pdfs
 from them I could pass along requests through her.
 [She is out on maternity leave at the moment so that
 might take a month or two.]

 As a sighted user I can see that one major
 inaccessible aspect of their mixers is in the line
 level set up instruction.  It has you set a few
 buttons and watch for the LED lights to be at a
 certain level.

 This too touches upon that other person's post about
 tuners with their visual cue for being in tune.

 Perhaps the workaround for each of these is some
 sensor that would sit atop the desired led light and
 then audibly chime to indicate that it has been
 reached.

 My Korg guitar tuner has not only a needle meter but
 also a two red triangle lights to indicate sharp or
 flat.  Other tuners I've used have multi-color
 schemes.

 If the manufacturer can send a signal to a light when
 a note is sharp, flat, or on pitch (or too high in the
 case of a peak meter) then that same signal could be
 routed to something else.  I'd imagine the best
 solution for the tuner would be an earphone output
 jack so that the tone wouldn't interfere with tuning.

 Doug Hayman