[ddots-l] Re: MAC alternatives

  • From: Sandy Licht <slicht@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:40:41 -0600

I've heard there were still issues with the double boot machines. From what I understand, Apple is working on further developments on Voice-over, but, compared to Jaws, it is still primitive. And... yes, I've heard the demo on BCT. The speech synthesizer sounds bad, in my opinion. But with time, I'm sure that will improve. In time, too, I'm sure Protools will be accessible to us. At least, I hope so.

At 09:28 AM 2/26/2007, Mike Christer wrote:
Hey Ginette!

The problem with Apple's "Voice Over", is that it isn't anywhere as
comprehensive as JAWS or Window Eyes, and also, it's not all that good.

Mind you, I say it ain't all that good, but maybe some day it will be, but
as we speak, it sucx...

It's quite surprising seeing as Apple own Logic, so you'd think that the
integration of Voice Over in to Logic would be a given, but nothing could be
further from the truth!

I guess you're talking about the Intel powered Mac's, when you talk about
the ability to load Windows, but I've no idea just how well these work, in
terms of compatibility etc.

One of the sighted producer/engineers I work with, loves his new Intel Mac,
he reckons it wipes the floor with his previous G5 PowerBooks, and this guy
makes hit records, so I trust his opinion, but as for it's accessibility for
the visually impaired, well it ain't anywhere close to being usable yet!

Mike