[ddots-l] Looking for a decent pitch shifter

  • From: "Mike Tyo" <mtyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 23:32:00 -0400

Hi everyone,

Does anybody know of a halfway decent plug-in that'll do some good pitch
shifting and formanting that's accessible? I'd consider using an external unit,
but my sound card is one that doesn't have a lot of patch points on it; it's
the EDIROL UA-25. It's great to keep everything within the digital domain, thus
the reason why I would like to obtain a decent plug-in rather than try to patch
something - unless there's no other way. Since I do some projects for radio and
TV advertising that call for altered voices as well as personal stuff, I'd like
to get something that doesn't sound like crap when you need to make greater
changes in pitch or formant. I've tried some of the audio processes in the
transpose menu in Sonar, but I don't like what I hear. The only type I can get
to work is the Radius, and though it doesn't do too bad with the pitch
shifting, the formant doesn't sound all that great. I'm not sure why the MPEX
process doesn't work; it didn't work in 8.3 either. I'm now up to 8.5. Has
anyone got the MPEX process to work at all? The help file in Sonar doesn't say
much about these engines - unless I'm missing something?

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated. Have a good one.

Mike