[ddots-l] Re: Internal sound card

  • From: "Dancing Dots" <billlist1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 16:56:31 -0400

Hi, Gordon,

Your Sound Max card may not be technically incompatible with SONAR but it is
definitely not a good choice.  You want to dedicate a low-latency audio
interface for use with SONAR.  If you have a firewire port on your new
system, consider something like the Presonus Firebox.  I understand that the
firewire port should be based on the T I (Texas Instruments) flavor of
firewire for best results.

I don't know if the following instructions will help with your install under
Vista, but I do know that they should under XP.  Give them a try and let us
know how things turn out.

Check the following:

Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices

CONTROL+TAB to Audio Tab

Make sure that Sound Playback Default and Sound Recording Device are
pointing at your low-end soundcard for JAWS speech.

Tab to Always Use Default Devices and check it.

Tab to Apply button and press SPACE Bar.

Even with this properly set, you may have to unload and restart jaws once
you start up to your desktop before running SONAR.  Or you can remove the
Start JAWS First option (see Options | Basics and tab to this option and
uncheck it) and load JAWS with a hotkey after PC boots. To disable the "Run
JAWS First" option, press INSERT+J or possibly INSERT+F11, J to bring JAWS
to the foreground, see Options | Basics and tab to this option and uncheck
it.

Regards,
Bill

Bill McCann