[ddots-l] Re: Installing a Motu 24 i/o

  • From: "Kevin L. Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:50:53 -0700

I'll ry and answer your questions in the text of your message.

1. When installing the PCI 424 card, it mentions that for Sonar to use
WDM
Drivers.  Currently we use Asio drivers.  Any advice which one to choose
for
the Motu 24i/o?
Use ASIO.  You'll be fine.

2.  It mentions that the inputs have two settings, being either +4db
or -10db.  It gives an example of using -10db for midi devices.  Any
advise
in what to set this to if using VSTs  and Vocals?
Minus 10 is fine for MIDI.  I imagine plus 4 is for mics.  Do whatever
you've always done.

3.  Should the Cue mix console software be installed?  Is it accessible?
Can
it be customised for a Jaws user?
The cuemix is not accessilbe.  However, it's something you only install
once and not again.  You may need some sighted assistance to make sure
that your monitoring abilities are set up corectly.  Again, it's a one
time thing.

4. Should I run the setup wizard?
Setup Wizard, yes.  You should read the instructions which probably tell
ou to start the software installation and then stop and install the
hardware befroe continuing with the second portion of the sotware
install.  Also, be sure to go to MOTU's website to find the latest
drivers for the 24I/O, articularly if you find you're having any
problems.

I have a little bit of experience with my wife's setup but am forced to
do
it myself because the person who advised this system (himself being a
Jaws
user) is unfortunately no longer able to install it. Therefore I must
somehow do it myself.  Apart from installing the Motu 24 i/0, I will be
installing the following:
Soundcraft Ghost 24
Beringer Ultrapatch pro px2000 patchbay
Some external preamps and effects units

Any advice on how to set up the Motu 24 i/o with the Soundcraft Ghost
console, Patchbay with our existing Sonar 4 would be greatly greatly
appreciated.  I guess my main questions are about what to route where.
Assuming the 24 outs from the Motu go into the Ghost, should the 24
inputs
also go to the ghost or should a few go into the patchbay? This general
kind
of question is what I am unsure about.
        Remember that, as far as the routing goes, it depends on what
you want.  What have you done in the past?

Many thanks for any advice,
Christopher