[ddots-l] Re: Fwd: VICUG-NYC Protools Accessibility with VoiceOver on the Mac

  • From: "daviddobler" <daviddobler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 04:07:52 -0700

Amen! Me too! I've gone back to my mac. I got tired of fighting with Sonar. No
offence to thoughs of you who use the program. It just didn't work for me.
David
Dobler
      Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 06:52:43 -0600
      From: "Jay Leventhal" <jaylev@xxxxxxx>
      To: <vic-nyc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      Sender: owner-vic-nyc@xxxxxxxxxxxx
t7,867591]

      I was asked to send this to the list.

      Jay Leventhal

       From: Vincent Pedulla [mailto:bkvin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
      Hello all,
      I apologize for the E-mail as many of us get so much spam as it is, but
please take a few minutes to read through this online petition that I would like
      you to sign.
      Protools is the industry standard for recording music in any professional
studio environment. It is a combination of a hardware and software package that
      allows the Macintosh computer to digitally record and edit audio on a
professional level. Protools is used in many industry settings from radio
stations
      and recording studios to post-production video television and movie
studios. Since the introduction of Apple's new operating system (OS X),
Protools software
      has not been accessible with the new screenreader (Voice Over) that Apple
has included in the new operating system.
      This means that any one with a visual impairment who is considering a
future in the recording industry will not be able to use the current version of
the
      program. This would also impact any students who are attending
educational institutions who offer training in audio engineering.
      We are asking the company Digidesign who manufactures Protools software
and hardware to insure compatibility with future versions of Apple's
screenreader
      Voice Over. This would insure that any one entering the audio field would
have full accessibility to the most widely accepted and used audio recording
      platform in the world. The other advantage is that any one who has access
to a Mac, would have access to Voice Over because it is included with every Mac
      running the current operating system. This would conceivably allow any
one with a visual impairment to walk up to any Protools system and have instant
      accessibility.
      When you visit the site
      http://www.protoolspetition.org,
      you will be asked for some basic information as well as your e-mail
address for conformation purposes. Don't worry about the information you
provide it
      will be kept confidential. There is an area in the petition that asks
what relationship you have with Protools. Most of you who are sighted would
probably
      check either advocate for the blind, or educator of the blind. For those
of us who are visually impaired, or working as educators there are three other
options that you can select. In the end we will print out all the signatures
and deliver it to the appropriate people
      at Digidesign.
      Again to read and sign the petition  Please visit
      http://www.protoolspetition.org
      to join us in this effort.
      Also please feel to pass this on to any one who wouldn't mind signing the
petition as well. Remember, the more people sign the petition, the more impact
      we will have with those who make the decisions at Digidesign.
      Thanks again for taking the time to read and sign the petition,
      Vincent Pedulla