[ddots-l] Fit click to improvisation

  • From: "Ilkster" <The_Ilkster@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 19:09:07 -0500

I plan to record a duo performance in audio on a single mike. Then, with my meager keyboard skills, add a bass line and other embellishments. So, for Quantization purposes, I'll need a tempo map that follows the improvised audio recording. A great opportunity to use the fit to click function of Sonar.

After reading the caketalking tutorial on the subject, I have a few questions.

Do I:

1 assign a drum patch to a midi track

2 tap out a reference track using say, side stick, closely following the audio track tempo

3 here's where I get confused. The tutorial says that once I've got the reference track accurate, I've got to use the "bounce to clips" function to consolidate the reference tracks individual sidestick clips(there'll be one clip for each hit). I'm using a DXI synth, so I've got say, midi track one with output to synth, and say audio track one with input as DXI synth. So, what do I bounce?

The tutorial says to select the reference track from beginning to end. Then bounce, and use fit to improvisation. Do I select & bounce audio track one(synth input track), or midi track 1-I didn't know you could bounce a midi track-thought that was only for audio?

I'll be glad for any clarification-even step by step instructions if possible.