[ddots-l] FM7 to DX7 ramblings.

  • From: "Steve Wicketts" <steve.wicketts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddtots" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 12:58:26 -0000

Hi All who may still be interested in this software hardware thread?

After reading Bryan's beautifully executed email, I spent some time with
working on the instrument samples I'm using for my live project.
I'm getting closer to the sound I want.
Thanks again Bryan.

I've found this whole topic to be very interesting and educational.

I Showed a Musician and producer friend of mine some of the emails from this
topic, He also can't see. He isn't on this list as he doesn't use much
software, basically a few softsynths a shop load of hardware and cubase to
Record his projects.
Below is his take on this topic...

Hi Steve,

Here are my ramblings.  Well, like I said it  is the DA converters that change
the sound of the DX blar, blar, blar and all that stuff, and Brian just
agreed with me. I think they are 14 bit. I don't think I ever claimed the
original DX was better but it is without doubt even from the difference in DA
converters and thus a mathematically based point of view by definition
different in its sound LOL. Hell, that's the point isn't it?   At  what point is
one not happy with the difference between the real thing verses a copy? Try
putting a number on that notion LOL.  I got my DX for prosperity and the
inspiration of using it. Its a personal thang LOL. Basically, on a technical
note Bryan is right really from an engineers point of view. However, that's
where it ends I feel. then there is the murky, subjective area of production
quality.that one is trying to achieve. The old chestnut, Is my perception
of green the same as yours? LOL. The Roland W-30 Sampler was naff but that raw
naff sound which from a technical and engineering point of view is low grade
today sure gave
it a kick arce sound. Well in my subjective opinion of course LOL. Also, most
people did not have SSL desks to record their tracks least of all me but
I still got my band to sound the way it did with next to no added compression
or parametric EQ. Some people want a shitty Fairlight sound, not
me, but there you go. Despite all the draw backs, that is what gives them
inspiration with their music. Now regarding you Steve, Jerry Lee Lewis studio
based recorded
tracks for sale on CD etc would sound really drab and soulless using today's
technology from my once again subjective point of view. No wonder people still
go to old outdated studios and pay for it. I have heard rumours They even use
those old harpsichords rather than a much more modern and technically better
piano. Would you believe it!!! You would have thought after 300 years they
would have dumpt that idea. That's partly why you are having so much trouble,
if only you had the shit quality stuff he had then all would be well with the
world. Same for me really, I neither have the time or energy to find the
right DA converter sound card to get the FM7 to be like my DX. Er, I think I
will just buy the real thing and save myself the brain ache. Not that I was
ever trying to achieve this.
All joking apart, Bryan is right when he notes that one does need to take a lot
of time to get the right result. This also requires a lot of knowledge of your
own personal musical field. However, its not just mathematical numbers, bit
rates, etc. It is also about design. Do you want an electronic book or the
real deal. Which method will get you to read and finish the whole book with the
least hassle and most pleasure? Finally, I know that modern drum samples
are more like the thing they are trying to copy, no one with half a brain would
argue with that. This does not mean that the end result is what people
want. If so, why are there so many people moaning about it? I find it hard to
believe they are all experiencing some kind of mass hallucination. It is
possible, god forbid that people aren't happy with what they have as customers.
It is their right after all. That's another issue though. Of course the
digital watch was supposed to be better than the old whined up crap. Where are
all those digital watches now LOL? If other cheaper better sound quality
and design alternatives to the PC came about how many people would vote with
their wallets?