[ddots-l] Re: Dodgy store or not?

  • From: Bryan Smart <bryansmart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 22:43:20 -0400

It is certainly possible to buy software online, particularly older versions,
at lower costs, but you must be incredibly careful. Piracy is everywhere,
particularly on eBay. And no, I don't mean piracy in terms of illegally
downloading cracked software, I mean shady companies that produce packaging and
disks that look like the genuine thing, but aren't.

I recently spoke to a customer over the phone that had purchased CakeTalking
from us, but had got Sonar for a great deal online. He actually got a boxed
copy of Sonar. However, when he went to activate it, the web site wouldn't
accept his serial number. Of course, though DD is a Cakewalk dealer, we can't
generate and lookup Sonar serial numbers, so he had to call Cakewalk for help.
They had no record of that serial number. They also had no record of his
dealer. He's therefore the sad, proud  owner of a cardboard box and circular
piece of plastic, instead of Sonar. This happens with Windows all of the time.
Sometimes, with Windows, the crooks will actually forge a Windows product key
that works. You'll be able to install the software just fine. Except, since
Microsoft has probably already wrote that number on a legit box somewhere, as
soon as that box is purchased, and activated, then you're going to have
problems. That other person will be frustrated that they're having activation
issues, but they'll have a receipt from a legit dealer, and Microsoft will most
likely just invalidate the key and give them another copy. Meanwhile, the shady
version of Windows will be depending on a product key that has been
invalidated, and the scammy people that sold it have probably closed up shop
and re-opened under a different name.

Paul is right. The best way to know if you're getting legit software is to call
the company that makes the software, and ask them if the place that you're
planning to buy the software is one of their dealers. At least with auction
sites, if someone scams you, you have very little recourse.

Bryan

        From: Darren H <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Saturday, 30 October, 2010, 11:02

        I'd avoid at all costs.

        Things that sound too good to be true usually are.

        Cheers
        Darren