[ddots-l] Developing a Web Site?

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jsonar@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:37:48 -0500

Hi folks.

I have some questions for those of you who maintain a presence on the Web. Since this is off-topic for the list, please reply privately, unless you think others may benefit.

Quite simply, who hosts your site? How much storage space do they offer? Do you code by hand or automate the process of updating and maintaining your site?

I'm going to put together a site for my mastering work, so it will be hosting information on what I offer, forms for clients to download and fill out, demo tracks for perspective clients to check out, etc. If storage space isn't too pricy, I might even set up FTP space for clients to submit their tracks for me to work on.

I also teach guitar, so I will have a section of the site devoted to basic information about my teaching methods, fees etc. and perhaps some sample lessons.

the last time I had a Web page was in the mid 1990's, a lifetime ago in technological terms. Back then, I took the time to learn enough html to get the job done, but really don't want to code by hand in Notepad this time. That was back in the Web 1.0 days, where things wern't as interactive as they are now.

For those of you who went with a blog instead of a traditional static site, have you seen any real benefits to taking a more interactive approach?

Again, sorry for the off-topic message, but I'm unaware of a list where I should be posting this instead. Besides that, many of us are self-employed in the music business in one way or another, and probably have similar goals when designing our Web sites.

Thank you for your views on this, and happy new year!

Chris