[ddots-l] Classical Recording, what to do what to do...

  • From: Chris Smart <chris_s@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 21:58:25 -0500

Hi folks! I'm hoping some of you have the bandwidth and time to lend me your ears and expertise for a few moments.

My stealth cheapo recording setup captured a great amateur orchestra this afternoon. Core Sound omnis + battery box, M-audio Microtrack 24/96, at 24bit/48KHZ uncompressed, transfer to PC via USB, Sound Forge 6.

I'm used to recording amplified music, mostly of the 100DB and up variety, so I'm not sure if a completely acoustic symphony recording needs any tweezing or processing at all.

I extracted some test samples. These are straight 24-bit 48KHZ .wav files, and the names are fairly explanatory. The "Focus Sample" goes from a loud bass drum hit to black, or what would be black if I didn't have lots of background noise. The Intro sample is just the conductor introducing the performance, unamplified. The others are pretty easy to figure out.

If you want to give them a listen, here's a download link:

http://download.yousendit.com/6086FED16692B3C3

The zip file is about 36MB.

I have a ton of software on the computer, Sound Forge 6 and associated plugins, and Sonar 5.2 Producer and it's complement of tools. So, if these were your recordings, and you wanted to delicately polish them up, what would you do, if anything? Maybe a little compression or EQ? Would you even attempt any noise reduction?

I'm obviously going to keep my original 24/48 files, probably burned to an audio-only DVD-r for safe keeping, but I'd like to experiment and learn as well.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

Chris