[ddots-l] Busses

  • From: "Jeanette Contant-Galitello" <jeanette@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 15:08:55 +0100

I will give a simple example below and if I have the time i will give a complex
example another day. Generally, I go by the following:  If there is an effect
you would use only for one track, then put it on the track. If there is an
effect which you are likely to use for several tracks, then put it on the bus.
For example, I do the following:
I create several effects busses such as a Reverb Bus and a Delay Bus. I will
choose a good reverb and delay setting and now when I want to add either reverb
or delay to a track, ( lead vocal or an instrument for example) I insert a send
on the track and put both the delay and reverb on it.

Now, the next level is where you would for example create busses for tracks
that you would typically group together, such as Backing vocals.  So, I create
a bus in the aux pane below and call it Backing vocals bus   Now, if I wanted
to put effects on my, say 9, backing vocals, I would put the output of these
backing vocals tracks to Backing vocal bus.  Now whatever effects I put on the
Backing vocals bus will be applied to all backing vocals.  Also, instead of
having to insert a reverb send on each of my 9 backing vocal tracks, I only
have to do it once on the Backing vocals bus.

For effects like compression, I generally apply them to the track because the
settings will differ greatly for every track.  For EQ I use the Sonar 4
Producer Track EQ.

Really bussing is kind of like plumming. Start off with a simple setting and
when you understand it, then gradually go to the next level. The good thing
about busses I am finding is that when you are mixing things like backing
vocals and you need to bring all 9 tracks down a touch at a specific point, you
do this on the backing vocals bus instead of on each of the 9 tracks.

By the way, with all the talk about Caketalking users musical work, if go to my
website www.kiskadee.net, you can preview several songs from my debut album
which I am launching on a 6 country tour this July from the Dominican Republic
to Trinidad.  6 of the songs on the album where recorded, produced and mixed on
my humble Sonar 4 studio.

Jeanette