[ddots-l] Re: Building a professional studio

  • From: "Phil Muir" <philmuir1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:13:10 +0100

Hi Jay!!

I have placed comments within your message.

 Hi all, I was wondering, how much would it cost me to
build a nice professional studio, with the latest in
technology, and both me and engineers from the sighted
world could use?  complete with control room and a
vocal booth.  both Mac and pc interface, that way I
could run it as well as sighted people?  Thanks

Hmm, that's a really difficult question to answer.  You could spend millions of
dollars on this or,
a few thousand.  What kind of budget did you have in mind?  It's such an open
question.

Where are you planning to build the studio?  Do you have somewhere to house it
or, were you planning
to have a purpose built structure to house it in?  What kind of audio equipment
do you already have?
Could some it it be incorporated into the studio thus, saving you money?

Regarding the second part of your post well, you don't necessarily need to have
both Mac and PC
recording systems in order to run a studio as well as someone who is sighted.

There are a number of totally blind individuals running Pro Tools successfully
on Mac systems.
There are also quite a number of visually impaired individuals running Sonar on
the Windows
platform.  a number of sighted people work both on Mac and Windows based
systems.

The issue isn't whither as visually impaired engineers, we need a Mac based
system in order to work
with sighted engineers.  Nor is the issue whither as a visually impaired
person, we should all go
with a PC based system running Sonar.  What is more important is that as
producers/engineers, we
have a good pare of ears, and a good understanding of the tools we are using,
whither that be on a
PC or, Mac based system and whether we are visually impaired or not.

Having said that, from an accessibility point of view, Sonar Producer with
Sonar Talking on a PC is
the best option around at the moment.

Regards, Phil Muir

P J Muir Productions