[ddots-l] Brian buss question

  • From: Mark Dew <jmkeybd1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:39:03 -0500

Brian, I had mix down files clip heavy on me before.
but no sign of it in Sonar itself.
I wasted 2 hours the other day editing sound samples
for my Fantom x6.
These were short samples from a half second to 4 seconds long.
Using a single track, I import the sample,
edited it, check the db level and save it back.
Sounded perfectly fine to me in Sonar but when I play back the files with
Windows media player, they were unusable.
I was fit to be tied.
I was wondering, if the short length of the files was part of the  problem.
So, any advice on short samples would be welcomed.

Cheers!

Mark

At 10:46 AM 10/22/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>Actually, you're worrying about nothing here. What you say is true for a
traditional mixer, but it is very difficult to make Sonar's audio engine
clip internally.

>Here is an experiment.
>
>Take one of your tracks that is very hot, and turn it up so that the meter
registers 0DB. You might heare clipping.

>Now, turn down the master bus. The clipping goes away.
>
>I don't fully understand how this works, but Sonar has internal headroom
between the tracks and buses. Clipping the tracks isn't so bad, and, in
many cases clipping the buses won't result in any sort of clipping that you
can actually hear.

>When you mixdown, though, you're saving a version of what was heard at the
master bus, and, if that clips, there will be clipping in your two-track
version, so it is important to be sure that the master bus doesn't clip
before exporting audio/performing a mixdown.

>So, in most cases, you don't need to worry about individual track meters
going over 0DB. At least, the playback meters, that is. Record meters that
clip are always a bad thing.

>Bryan

On Behalf Of Mark Dew
>Sent: Thursday, October 22, 2009 7:44 AM
>To: ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: [ddots-l] Re: buss question
>

>Len, yes there will be clipping.
>If you have several tracks recorded, and there all just below 0 db and you
send them to a master buss, it's like too menny folks trying to get through
a door at the same time.
>So by lowing the db level for each track is like taking some weight off
the folks, making them skinnyer.
>Now they have a better chance of getting throu the door.
>For me, I try to keep the loudest track of my projecst somewhere around
minus 2 or 3 db.
>This gives you some head room to work with.
>Then adjust the other tracks around the loudest track to obtain a mix that
satisfys you.
>So if you don't use the Master bus for any thing else, it's usually a good
idea to have one set up to monnor the over all peak level.
>If you have a good mix and you have db level over 0 in the master buss,
Lower the volume level for each track the same amount.