[ddots-l] Re: : Am i in over my head

  • From: "Paul Erkens" <pje@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2005 02:15:35 +0200

Hi Jason,

To get started, you need:
1. a good pc, that is 1 gigahertz or faster pentium.
2. jaws 5.1 or higher.
3. sonar itself.
4. either Victor Tsaran's free sonar scripts for jaws, or the cake talking scripts made by dancing dots.
5. A good soundcard.
I can well imagine that you want a beginner's tutorial and I attempted to write down a few basics, but I found out I was duplicating something that has already been written. So I did away with it altogether and therefore I'm giving you this advice.

Please go to www.dancingDots.com and take a peak at their site. There's a demo mp3 file there, from which you can hear what is possible with sonar, and how easily it is acomplished. However, to be honest, I must tell you that the guy doing this is a very experienced audio engineer and we can't compete with him in this respect. Yet, it does give you a good impression on what is possible. Only after some weeks of experimenting will you know how to do things and do them well.

If you then buy CT, you won't regret it because they will give you an excellent manual, which is mostly a tutorial. A friend of mine, who owned CT long b4 I did, sent me its manual, which is a Word document. It is such an amazingly inspiring document, that I couldn't let go of it even though we were going to Turkey for a holiday. Because I wanted to keep reading, I converted it into a bunch of mp3 files by letting jaws read it and recording that with an audio tool, so that I could take it with me on my mp3 player, which is what I did.

All of us have had to start from scratch, from the very beginning, and I know from my own experience that the CT stuff is a very good starting point. Or if you don't want to buy the stuff before you have seen the tutorials, why not write to dancing dots and ask them if they can send the document off to you so you can get inspired.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Paul.