[ddots-l] Advise on a multi-channel preamp

  • From: "Charles Marston" <rumbero73@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 00:57:33 -0400

Hi:
I am looking into adding additional input channels to my system.  I am
currently using M-Audio's ProjectMix which has 8 XLR mic inputs.  This is more
than enough for myself.  However, pretty soon I'll be recording several
musicians at the same time and I will definitly need to add eight more channels
to my system.  Jack Conti of this list recommended the Focusrite OctoPre MkII
which seems like a good option.  I recently went to Guitar Center to check it
out but they did not have it in stock.  What was interested is that they told
me I could get the Focusrite OctoPre MkII Dynamic which includes eight
compressors for about the same price as the Saffire Pro-40, that is about $500.
 My plan is to run this multi-channel unit through my ProjectMix using the ADAT
connection.  I can do that with either Focusrite unit.  I think that the
OctoPre is the one I need, however I wanted to check with you all to see if
there are any reasons why I should choose the Pro-40 instead?
Any other 8 channel Preamp at around the same price that I should be looking at?

Thanks for any advise.