[ddots-l] Re: 0 dB or higher?

  • From: "D!J!X!" <megamansuperior@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 23:41:46 -0500

-0.1 is the max you can go up to. Try compressing some tracks and playing
around with indevidual track volumes, or try using a limitter to see what it
does. Take in to consideration that if you want your mix to breathe or have
some natrual ambiance to it, it will never sound as loud as today's
comercial rock and hip hop stuff, just because those cds have the crap
compressed out of them. It all depends what you are working with. Not that
compressing is bad, but it's an art that must be mastered to be done right.
Some of your tracks might have some peaks here and there which is what's
holding your volume down a bit,  with a compressor or better recording
techniques you might be able to sort this out. I'm sure others will chime in
here with better suggestions and/or tips on how to fix your problem.

HTH, D!J!X!

  _____