[dbsec] Re: How secure is software X?

  • From: "David Litchfield" <davidl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ferguson, Justin (IARC)" <FergusonJ@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Adam Shostack'" <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 12:17:31 +0100

Hi Justin,

One thing you have to keep in mind is that a lot of things are incredibly
variable when dealing with this subject. For instance, suppose you want to
ensure that the URI in a web server is not overflowable. So you test with
something like

GET /[AAAAAAAAA x 4096] HTTP/1.1
Host: foobar.com
Connection: close

This is all fine and well, unless at 8192 is where the overflow takes place,
or if I can stick as many characters as I want in, so long as I am using
HTTP 1.1 and not HTTP 0.9, or if I am using HTTP/1.1 and Host doesn't
contain a 36 backslashes, et cetera.

This is generally why fuzzing is mostly inconclusive because it often misses
a lot of conditions and you have essentially assured nothing. Without
in-depth analysis of each software package you are basically pushing snake
oil. There are just far too many variables to really standardize such a
thing.

There are a few things to remember:
1) There are still too many products that fall to simple fuzzing. Having a standard that employs fuzzing as part of it means that (hopefully!) vendors will develop at least to that level - this raises the bar so to speak.
2) Not all fuzzers are born equal. Having written a fair few in my time I do realize that condition based fuzzing is important. A very simple but quite common example, to add to the ones you given, is with SMTP fuzzing. Some overflows only trigger after an EHLO greeting but not after a HELO. A good fuzzer and a good fuzzing process should take into consideration as many conditions as possible.
3) Fuzzing would only be part of the standard to be proposed. There are code/assembly scanning tools which can be incorporated amongst other things.

Cheers, David

Best Regards,

Justin Ferguson
Reverse Engineer
NNSA IARC
702.942.2539

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one
begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."
-- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle