[dbsec] Re: [Full-disclosure] How secure is software X?

  • From: "David Litchfield" <davidl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <michaelslists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 03:32:47 +0100

From: "Michael Silk" <michaelslists@xxxxxxxxx>

<SNIP>

why do we need this?

Take your average bit of common software. I can bet someone's thrown Spike at it, someone else crazyfuzz, and another foofuz. Now let's say that it stood up to everything that was thrown at it - and let's say another product crumbled in the first few seconds. I'd rather have the first product on my network if, as a business requirement, I need the functionality that that software provided. Sure - it's not a guarantee that it's devoid of security vulnerability but I can be assured that the software's not going to fall to a script kiddie.

If a product did stand up the Spike, crazyfuzz and foofuzz then let's talk about it! The problem is you only ever hear about when these fuzzers actually find things.

What I'm suggesting is simply collating our bug-hunting collective knowledge into a standard. Those who wish to protect their "trade secret bug find techniques" don't have to play if they don't want.

But in answering "why do we need this?" you clearly don't - but there are people out there that do need this - or at least would like it.

you're referring to what already takes place commercially.
"hi i want a security assessment".
who's going to do these assessments for free? who confirms that the
people doing the assessment know what they are doing?

The thing with a standard is that it is a standard. A such efforts should be entirely reproducible. Have 3 or more people follow that standard and compare results at the end. If there's a discrepancy someone's not following the standard. The other aspect of course that it's trivial to write and verify tools that follow a standard.

"Customer: I was hacked .." -> me: -> "David Litchfield told me it was
secure, blame him" -> "David Litchfield: Oh no, our VAAL is just a
guide." -> "Customer: So why the hell do I care about it then?"

Guides for people to use are okay (hello OWASP Guide, and others) but
all your trying to start is a non-commercial free security assessment
service.

Absolutely. Let's face it - it's what goes on every day, anyway. At least people who care about assurance would be able to make something useful out of all that effort. Besides, who said it had to be free? Like CC - if a company wanted their product evaluated they could pay for it. Or not. I'm sure cost will become relevant at some point but not now. I'm more interested in the technical merits at the moment.

Cheers,
David Litchfield
http://www.databasesecurity.com/
http://www.ngssoftware.com/