[dbsec] Re: Database data identification across an enterprise.(Was: Re: NASTEC 2008....)

  • From: Peter McLarty <peter.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dbsec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 00:22:48 +1000

Interesting question you have posed. I think one of the problems you
would need to define is what constitutes a structure. There is a number
of ways to view that, is it just what is in a table, is it that which is
joined by keys. Is it in some cases multiple elements for example a
customer has invoices with line items is that a structure and what about
the customer is not part of that structure.

It is probably pretty unique to each application but very similar in
many that do similar or the same tasks.
The data structure for E-business GL will be different to that in SAP
but most definitely similar.

I think that it would be something no IT person could think up it would
be some team approach as you will need a business perspective and that
is the view you need to come at solving the problem , but I think the
DBA is a very needed support person as they will need to confirm the
physical data structures are there to support the logical models and
find associations through key relationships.

My 0.02c

Cheers

Peter