[softwarelist] Re: \reply: Printing from ArMini

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2011 12:02:18 +0200

In message <CaSVgQCg+99NFw3j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <2455727.229382-ovationpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ovation Pro
> <ovationpro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>I have a large OP file with a number of jpegs. If I try to print it on the
>>ArMini it tells me I have incomplete or corrupt jpeg(s). If I copy the file
>>back onto a RiscPC it prints correctly. All the jpegs are in the OP
>>file. Also
>>I was able to remake all the proxy pictures.

> What happens if you turn off proxy display? (View options)

I would be interested in that, too. John?

> When you say you could remake the proxies, was that operation carried
> out on the ArMini?

> PostScript printing is different to  bit map printing - the latter will
> probably use the JPEG rendering code in RISC OS, the former probably
> does not (or at least not much of it).

Correct, but in the standard case PS3 uses just about as much (or as
little) of the JPEG rendering code in RISC OS as the PS2 driver, just
the code that extracts resolution information, etc., so that alone
would not explain why PS3 succeeded while PS2 failed.

John, maybe you printed in greyscales ("Colour" option switched off)?
That would explain the difference because in that case, the PS3 driver
still sends the JPEG data straight to the PS printer without using the
JPEG rendering code whereas the PS2 driver uses the JPEG rendering
code to render it to a greyscale sprite.

Martin