[softwarelist] Re: problem with holding format during copy/paste

  • From: Martin Devon <martin.devon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 09:43:47 +0100

On 22/07/09 00:29:04, Martin Wuerthner wrote:
> In message <5db5867e50.steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've just had a play: a short piece of text with formatting in
> O-Pro, copy,
> > and paste back.  On RISC OS 5, it works as expected and the
> formatting is
> > retained.  On RISC OS 4.37, I see exactly what Martin describes
> (ie.
> the
> > formatting is lost).  A quick look at the Wimp messages flying
> around gives
> > some clues as to what might be happening (and I'm fairly sure we've
> been here
> > before on this list -- if not, it was with another WP/DTP app).
>
> Yes, we have been here before on this list, years before. However,
> the
>
> problem was fixed back then, and it is still working fine here on
> RISC
>
> OS 4.39 and RISC OS 6.14. Maybe RISC OS 4.37 behaves differently, but
> that is not too likely. I tried it with the 2-Jun-2006 version of OP
> 2.77 (which is I happened to have installed in my copy of VRPC).
>
> > As far as I can tell, the problem is as follows.  On RISC OS 5,
> which is
> > 'primitive' enough to still use the Global Clipboard Protocol as
> devised by
> > Acorn, when the text is copied in O-Pro, O-Pro retains it on its
> own
> internal
> > clipboard and advises all the other applications that it now 'owns'
> the
> > clipboard.  When the text is pasted back into O-Pro, O-Pro knows
> about the
> > formatting (I assume), and so it is retained.
>
> > On RISC OS 4.37, however, we have the Clipboard Holder.  When O-Pro
> > announces that it now 'owns' the clipboard contents, the Clipboard
> > Holder (part of ROL's Select versions of the OS) immediately
> requests
> > a copy of the contents and on receipt, claims ownership of the
> > clipboard for itself.  The logic is that if O-Pro is quit, the cut
> > text will still be safe, held in the OS.
>
> Yes, correct.
>
> > The problem is that the Clipboard Holder seems to always take the
> lowest
> > common denominator format: plain text, with no formatting.
>
> No, the ClipboardHolder obtains the data in its native format in
> preference. Some earlier versions of OP supplied text, which caused
> the symptoms as described, but that was fixed.
>
> > When O-Pro comes to paste in the text from the clipboard, it has to
> > ask the Clipboard Holder for it as it no longer 'owns' the
> clipboard
> > for itself.  What it gets back is plain text, with no formatting.
>
> That is what would happen if ClipboardHolder obtained plain text and
> then claimed the global clipboard, but that is not what I observe
> here

> [...]

What, then, is or is not happening here? Two machines here,
both OS 4.39 with OPro 2.77 (Jan09) are happy to paste text into Zap
but still show the problem described, i.e. only text gets pasted back
into OPro from the global clipboard, which is where we started :-(

--
Martin R Devon MSc
Consulting Engineer, Box, Wiltshire, UK