[softwarelist] Re: pdf, ovation, risc oss

  • From: David W Mills <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 13:28:05 +0100

In message <e7d2ca134e.berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          B G Hill <berni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <b916b5134e.alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Alan Leighton <alan.leighton2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <+HdNd$A8oYNEFwFL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >           David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[snip]
> >> Earlier this year I came to the conclusion that doing an improved Post
> >> Script printer driver for RISC OS would be easy - lets say a "level 3"
> >> driver to go with the existing level 1 and 2 drivers.
> >>
> >> Anyway I put together such a project, however I came to the conclusion
> >> that I just can't bear to do any more work on RISC OS. So I pulled out.
>
> That is a real blow!

I sit here with an Iyonix, an SA RPC and a windows based lap top (school)
Intriguingly my SARPC can still(after ten years) do all that is essential to
me for home use....e-mail, DTP/wordprocessing and access most websites I need
to using O1 and O2......

To read that one of the stalwarts of the (still) most user friendly and (in
the case of SARPC) energy efficient OS can't bear to do any more saddens me..

I understand the finacial pressures however.
[snip]
> >> Others were involved maybe you could convince them that there is a
> >> demand.

> > There is a real demand from little old me.;-)
>
> My latest printer is a Postscript 3 device, and that seems to be the
> norm now. We who find RiscOS the platform of choice for ease of use,
> would have to pay for a driver. I will stick my neck out, but could
> not afford to commission a driver on my own.

I need to update my printer.... the BJC610 has died...and would be in the
market for a new driver.....

David