[softwarelist] Re: paste chapter

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:33:34 +0000

Hi,

In message <4CEC2792.3040006@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
Perhaps I should do a clean install of OP.

I think not.

The above saga is a repetition of the problems with insert/delete page.

Usually a document has an "auto linked chain of master frames" with "automatic page insertion and deletion". Sounds complicated. It means that the document behaves as you expect, you type and when you come to the end of a page, magically another page appears and you carry on typing.

Dump 40 pages of text into a frame, and magically 40 pages appear.

What I think you've done is turn off automatic page insertion. You can then delete all the pages using the "delete page" function, and you get your two pages. The problem is that they still contain 40 pages worth of text. As soon as that text hits a document with automatic page insertion turned on it will produce 40 pages of text.

The solution, is to forget the "insert page" and "delete page" functions. If you want a document with just two pages worth of text, mark the text before the desired text, delete it, then mark the text after the desired text and delete that.

As to the preferences for "auto page insert" and "auto page delete", maybe better if they're left with their default settings of "on".

I understand what you want - delete page to delete both the page/frames and the text they contain, insert page to insert both pages/frames and also new page codes in the text. Good idea, but alas 20 years ago we didn't think of it.

The functions OP provides will let you achieve what you want, but you have to do it by hand - in two parts pages/frames and text contents.

 post: David Pilling, P.O. Box 22, Thornton-Cleveleys, Blackpool. FY5 1LR. UK