[softwarelist] Re: how to make heading start at top of page [OPro---]

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 11:56:05 +0100

In message <28950f4e50.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

another possiblity might be to edit the DDL in a text editor and put
that ^P before each "heading2".  this is a new facet for me in OPro,
though i'm used to tinkering with DDF in Impression.  i don't even
know yet if there would be one DDL file for the whole book or a
separate one for each of the present chapters.

People often decide that Ovation DDL is just like Impression DDF. The big difference is that DDF only saves text with style information, whilst DDL saves the entire document, text, pictures, layout, everything except view information.

DDL does provide one solution, it will only work if you've used your heading2 styles in a limited way. Assuming you have always done <heading2> my heading </ heading2> then it would be easy to load the DDL into a text editor, and replace </ heading2> with </ heading2> <new page>.

I've used pseudo HTML markup in this example, you'd have to use the correct OP DDL which should be obvious once you look at your document in DDL format (addstyle, remstyle).

If you've used the heading2 more widely then this approach will be a mess. Typically people use styles more than they think - they markup things like whitespace, add styles and delete them, and lay one style over another.

Another idea would be a form of DIY markup, for example after each heading put the word "wibble" in 0.1pt transparent text. Then play at search/replace "wibble" with "wibble{newpage}".

ISTR that in search/replace OP macro substitution is active so things like {newpage} should work.