[softwarelist] how to make heading start at top of page [OPro---]

  • From: Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 20:04:37 +0100

        [this time posting from the correct address!]
     [posted previously in c.s.a.apps.  one or two replies
     suggested that i sign up to this list and try here, so here
     goes.  hello from a new member!]

a book i'm producing has many-many headings styled as "heading2".
i now want each of them to start a new page.  is there any way to do
this automagically, in the definition of "heading2" or elsewhere?

i know i could find each heading and simply type ^P in front of it to
force a new page.  but client might not like the result and might want
to change back again -- hence my question about doing it in the
styledef if possible.

someone suggested using chapters, because each would by definition
start on a new page.  however, that would involve a lot of cut&paste
to move stuff from existing big chapters into new little ones -- and,
as i said, i might want to go back.

someone suggested simply keeping the old file in case we to go back to
the present arrangement.  problem is that there will be updates to the
text in the meantime.

i had a hunt through applets and scripts but am no wiser, as a fairly
new user of OPro.  sounded, though, from general description of what
can be done with applets, that it might be poss for an applet to add
something to the styledef menu (perhaps a special value in "space
before"?)  (come to think of it, it would be useful in many situations
to be able to specify strings to appear before and after a style.)

another possiblity might be to edit the DDL in a text editor and put
that ^P before each "heading2".  this is a new facet for me in OPro,
though i'm used to tinkering with DDF in Impression.  i don't even
know yet if there would be one DDL file for the whole book or a
separate one for each of the present chapters.

thanks for any suggestions.

--
>>> no need to reply my entire message back to me ;=]
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603
   Glastonbury   BA6 9JG         pocket 0797 415 3861