[softwarelist] Re: drawing lines on an OPro masterpage

  • From: Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:36:52 +0100

David Pilling  wrote on 25 Jul:
> It is not a good idea to use frames where lines are more appropriate,
> frames carry a lot of overhead.

> Line drawing on a master page is just like line drawing in the document.

i had never drawn lines anywhere in OPro before.  it was this
doubleclick-to-finish-the-line that had foxed me.

my masterpages are now using OPro's system of headers and footers,
rather the three separate frames (header, body, footer) that i had
first imported from the original Impression document.  i'm now drawing
these lines as a visual separation between header and body and between
body and footer.

i want a certain distance between header and line and between line and
body text.  the body text will start at the top of its area, therefore
the line has to go a certain distance up from the bottom of the header
section.
   i found the "centre text vertically in frame" option that i thought
i had once seen (when you select a frame, it's in Object > Modify >
Align) but unfortunately this affects the main body area as well as
the header and footer area.  so i fiddled with the definition of the
header-footer text style, "space before" till i've got the headers
where i want them.
   now at the moment i'm puzzing over how to make the footer text stay
a certain distance BELOW the line i've drawn. its "space before" will
have to be different from that of the header, so i suppose i'm going
to have to define a separate style for footer and apply it 24 separate
times: to the footers on left and right masterpages of my 12 chapters.

(this is after copy&pasting the line and positioning it accurately in
th F7 dialogue -- 48 times: header, footer, left, right, 12 chapters.)

is there an easier way?  maybe i'm coming at this with false
assumptions from previous apps.

with hindsight, i think separate frames for header and footer (which
could include the line as one edge of the frame) would give me more
control over spacing within and between the frames so the text will
fall exactly where i want it.

in general, what are the advantages and disadvantages of the OPro
system of headers and footers as opposed to using three separate
frames?  can somebody with more experience of OPro give a summary?

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603