[softwarelist] Re: deleting OPro chapter crashes computer

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 09:20:19 GMT

On 4 Feb 2011  Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 4 Feb 2011  David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Hi,

>> In message <258c75a051.pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dr Peter Young
>> <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>>Sorry, I've found that I don't have the original template. I had a
>>>bout of deleting attachments from received messages. If Jim can let me
>>>have another copy

>> Jim gave this URL for the file in his original message:

>> www.archivemag.co.uk/writers.zip

>> Of course for a number of reasons this is not necessarily the file you
>> used to have.

> Looks the same!

>>> I'll happily try things out. If I get results, what
>>>address should I send reports and copies of files to?

>> My usual email address, see the sig line below.

> Thanks, but I'll have to get a round tuit. Perhaps next week?

I got a bit more time than I thought, and could reliably reproduce
this crash yesterday, but not today. I think I may have stumbled on a
possible reason why not everyone gets it happening. RISC OS 5.16 and
OPro 2.77 (05-Jan-2010) in case that's relevant.

Yesterday, I tried to edit Jim's file by inserting text, and got the
crash. Later, after a re-start of the computer, I did:

  1) Ran OPro at start-up, as I always do.

  2) Loaded Jim's file, put the cursor two lines under the line
     that starts "Text"

  3) Inserted a text file at this point; FWIW this was a Lorem
     Ipsum file generated by EasiWriter. This worked OK, so I
     scratched my head a bit.

  4) Wondered whether doing something else in OPro might be
     relevant, so I did some trivial editing in an existing OPro
     file (put a space at the start, deleted the space and saved
     the file.

  5) Did 2 and 3 above again, and got the immediate crash,
     reported by WimpLog as "04 Feb 22:52:29 000 00000000: Error
     from Ovation Pro: OvationPro has suffered an internal error
     type=5"

Then this morning, tried again, did 2 and 3, got no crash, did 4, 2
and 3, and again no crash.

Thinking back the only thing I did differently yesterday was, before
trying Jim's file a second time was to create and print an entirely
new OPro file. Could this be relevant? In any case, I don't think I
have relevant files to send to David.

All very odd! Let me know please if there's any more experimenting
that I can do.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \  /      zfc Lu     \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
and      \/ __            __  \                              England.