[softwarelist] Re: centre listing

  • From: Jhr JMAH van Vredenburch <janvredenburch@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 23:41:17 +0200

In message <4f9bebf889peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
          P C Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <Marcel-1.53-0507202821-0b0ZSTv@xxxxxxxxxx>,
>    Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> In <URL:news:local.opro> on Wed 07 May, P C Newble wrote:
>>> In article <4820DA8F.9080007@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter
>>>    Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Create a decimal tab with = in the box next to that option
>>> (instead of the usual decimal point).

>> I like that idea, so tried it. It doesn't quite work here in
>> OPro 2.77 (17 Feb 2008) on RISC OS. I find the alignment to be
>> the first non-numeric character, or perhaps it is the space.
>> Removing the leading 1 from each line and the following list
>> does align the =

>>    ton = 1.02 tonne
>>   foot = 0.305 metre
>>     yd = 0.91 metre
>>   mile = 1.61 km
>>  chain = 20.1 metre

>> With the same tab stop set as above and various leading
>> numerals the alignment is:

>>    123 ton = 1.02 tonne
>> 112345 foot = 0.305 metre
>>      1 yd = 0.91 metre
>>   mile = 1.61 km
>>  chain = 20.1 metre

> Very odd. I get exactly the same result. I use 'decimal tabs' a
> lot, often using a hard space (ASCII 160) as the character to
> align to, and I've never had a problem like this.

> It looks as if it's aligning to the first space instead, except
> that if I change the decimal tab character for that tab from
> equals to space everything moves slightly.

Further to my earlier message;
Centre tab and decimal tab do *not* position text in the same way. Any
token at a centre tab is positioned exactly in the middle of this tab.
But with a decimal tab the equal sign is placed to the right hand side
of the tab's position. On the other hand, if you use Ascii 142 as
token, this will be placed to the left of the decimal tab. (I am not
sure but believe the = sign is the only one that moves to the right,
all other characters move to the left.)

--
Greetings,
JohnvV