[softwarelist] Re: a few questions

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 11:46:17 +0100

In message <46526EA5.5030001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

1. When trying to select an area of text I keep on getting the key symbol up which makes it difficult to select text what is its purpose.

Long click drags are used for moving frames. Some frames are "locked" by their nature - frames in the document based on frames in the master pages. In other words the lock pointer appears for anything that you can't move.

Now on Windows long click drags have caused some people problems. Perhaps it is the way people are used to using Windows, perhaps the operating system is less precise about timings for mouse clicks.

Eventually I provided a way around this problem. See

http://www.davidpilling.info/cd/DavidPilling/OvationPro/changes.html

where it says:

"2.90 9th. February 2006
Ovation Pro Choices now allows the time delay for "long drags" to be set. This will help if you have problems with marking text."

This will let you turn off long clicks or make them long enough for you. You can always move frames with a right click drag.

2. I have a document that has a number of linked text frames that fill up the page what is the trick to get it to flow onto another/new page?

If the linked frames are on the master pages then as the others have just said, form them into an autolink chain. You do then need to check that document preferences are set to allow auto page creation.

If the frames are local frames then you just have to create more pages by hand, create frames on them by hand (copy paste) and link by hand.

3. I seem to always get the Ovation page off the bottom of the screen and so cannot get the movement arrows back to resize as hidden behind the icon bar is there a method to stop the page disappearing at the bottom.

There are some options in OP choices that control how much is allowed off screen. You can usually double click the title bar to minimise the window.

I'm not entirely happy with the way the OP main window fills the screen. I think Windows works and looks better with (what are called) MDI windows, this is where document windows all exist inside one big window, something you often seen in editors.