[softwarelist] Re: Windows searching

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 12:31:04 +0100

In message <4f8808e377dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Symes <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes

In article <47EF2E8B.90307@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
  Peter Prewett <pprewett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
It appears that Vista's searching does not find anything in an Ovation
documents or am I missing something or not read the release documents
fully?
Peter

TBH. Peter, I've not managed to get Vista's search to find anything.
Ever in any situation.

Back in March 2007 we had the discussion quoted below. I've not tried anything on Vista - you have been warned. The choice in general is install an IFilter or set up searching to look in all files.

David Pilling writes...

I often try to find an Ovation Pro document by its contents. I might
want to find the last letter I wrote to someone so that I can use it as
a basis for the next one.

On RISC OS I did this using Acorn's Find application - other programs
are available.

For Windows I didn't have a solution I was happy with. I wondered about
using the search facilities built into Windows. It turns out that for
these to work on Ovation Pro documents a small piece of software is
needed which I have written.

I should say that this is an experimental project and I'd like to have a
discussion about it. For example installation is a low level affair,
because I've not found a better way in the Windows documentation.

If (like me) you cry when it becomes apparent Windows needs to be
reinstalled what follows might not be for you.

The link:

www.davidpilling.info/cd/DavidPilling/extras/IFilter/ifilter.zip

Andy Ling responds...

> I often try to find an Ovation Pro document by its contents.

> For Windows I didn't have a solution I was happy with.

Now there's a surprise :^)

I spent several hours of hair pulling trying to work out why
Windows XP search wouldn't find files with a particular content
when I knew they existed.

You have obviously been, at least partly, down this route, because
you have written an OPro search filter. But you can make
XP search the contents of all files even if they don't have
a filter. Which may give the functionality you want without
the risk of having to re-install Windows again!!

For those that don't know about this there's more information here :-

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309173

As an aside, I find taking an "ghost" image of my system partition
just before doing anything dodgy like this pays dividends :^)